The New Dating Game: Tips for Internet Dating
Long gone are the days when finding love was simple. A handwritten note that said “I like you, do you like me?” was enough to get the fires of romance burning. All you had to do was check the “yes” box and you were on your way to everlasting love! Well, maybe I’m exaggerating just a little bit, but it definitely made the dating game a lot easier.
Now that romance has gone high tech with thousands of internet dating sites, it should be pretty easy to find true love, right? Well, I don’t recommend you get your marriage license just yet. The internet dating scene can be quite complicated and even a little bit dangerous if you’re not careful. There’s a hot new cable show called “Catfish” that chronicles the adventures of online love seekers who have been hoodwinked by people who create fake profiles to deceive others to fulfill some strange psychological need they have. It’s a sad but growing phenomenon.
But fear not! Despite this growing trend, there are many people who have had success and found true love using online dating sites, so don’t give up yet. The important thing is that you take the necessary precautions and protect yourself from fraud and any potential nutcases out there. Here are some tips that will help to keep you from being a victim, and hopefully assist you in your search for the love of your life:
· Always follow the suggested online dating safety tips provided by all online dating sites. Do not skip this very important step. You should take all precautions to protect your personal data and contact information. Being safe should always take precedence over getting a date! Never give out your phone number, address, or other personal details. If you chose to meet someone, always do so in a well-lit, high traffic, public location. Let someone know where you are.
· Build a great profile. Be honest and sincere. Post recent pictures, not pictures from ten years ago. You do not still look like that! Keep your mood and personality upbeat and positive, but not desperate. A blend of confidence and humility keeps people from trying to take advantage of you, while also making you approachable at the same time.
· Be patient. Don’t fry the first fish that you pull in the boat, if you get my drift! Take time to get to know as much as you can about a person over time. If they’re really interested you won’t feel rushed or pushed. If you feel like someone is trying to make you do don’t something you’re not ready for, back away!
· Have fun with the process. If you’re feeling stressed and anxious, something’s wrong. Rethink your approach and start over if you need to.
· Don’t make online dating a full-time job. In other words, don’t become addicted to the online dating game. You’ll never, ever find anyone like that!
Online dating can and does work for many people, so have a positive attitude. Good hunting and may all your online dating dreams come true!