The United States has been condemned for allegedly launching an airstrike on a Médecins Sans Frontières (Doctors Without Borders) hospital in Afghanistan that is believed to have killed more than 20 aid workers. Live MSF staff killed in suspected US strike on Kunduz hospital in Afghanistan – latest Médecins Sans Frontières says another 30 workers are missing after bombs fell on a medical facility in Kunduz. Follow the latest developments. It is understood the hospital was hit during an aerial bombardment on Kunduz, destroying a large portion of the facility. An MSF source told the Guardian at least 20 members of staff were killed and dozens more people were injured. They said the death toll could rise further.
The charity claimed the GPS coordinates of the hospital had been widely circulated to all parties fighting in the conflict. It also alleged the bombing continued for up to 30 minutes after it raised the alarm with US and Afghan officials. At the time of the bombing, 105 patients and their carers, and more than 80 MSF international and national staff were in the hospital. At least 37 staff members were wounded in the incident, it said. None of the international doctors volunteering at the facility were hurt.
According to an MSF doctor, the dead included eight nurses, three doctors, six security guards, two cleaners and a pharmacist.
The US, which has been involved in airstrikes in the country in an attempt to repel Taliban fighters, said a strike on Kunduz may have caused “collateral damage”. An MSF spokesman said the organisation condemned “in the strongest possible terms the horrific bombing of its hospital in Kunduz full of staff and patients”. A statement added: “MSF wishes to clarify that all parties to the conflict, including in Kabul and Washington, were clearly informed of the precise location (GPS coordinates) of the MSF facilities – hospital, guesthouse, office and an outreach stabilisation unit in Chardara (to the north-west of Kunduz).
“As MSF does in all conflict contexts, these precise locations were communicated to all parties on multiple occasions over the past months, including most recently on 29 September. “The bombing continued for more than 30 minutes after American and Afghan military officials in Kabul and Washington were first informed. MSF urgently seeks clarity on exactly what took place and how this terrible event could have happened.” Human Rights Watch said it had “grave concerns about whether US forces took sufficient precautions to identify and avoid striking the facility”.
Patricia Gossman, a senior researcher at the NGO, said: “The bombing of the hospital is a shocking development for Kunduz, where civilians and aid workers are already at grave risk from the fighting. All forces are obligated to do their utmost to avoid causing civilian harm.” The group called for an impartial investigation to establish the circumstances of the attack, and urged the US to review its targeting procedures to ensure such incidents do not reoccur.
Adil Akbar, a doctor at the trauma centre who was on duty at the time, told the Associated Press the operating theatre, emergency room and other parts of the hospital complex had been hit. “I managed to escape after the attack but I know that most of the staff and even some of the patients are missing,” he said. A relative of another doctor working at the hospital said his cousin had been killed in the strike. Nasratullah, 22, told the Guardian that Akbar, a 25-year-old not thought to be related to Adil, was in the Kunduz facility at the time. “He had been working in the hospital for a long time. He was a famous doctor,” he said.
Afghan special forces have been battling to retake the city with the help of international special forces advising on the ground, as well as US airstrikes. Since fighting broke out on Monday, MSF had treated 394 wounded people in Kunduz.